When you have an entire fleet out on the road – or even if you’re just getting started with a couple of choice units – the last thing you need is for any one of your refrigerated beverage units to breakdown. To prevent on the road disasters, you need to make sure that all of your units are in proper working condition. And you don’t want to wait until the last minute when something breaks because then you end up with complete replacements, complicated repairs, and higher emergency repair fees. Let’s explore the theory of preventative maintenance methods that can help save you time, money, and your bottom line.
A Handy Checklist
Here is a checklist of what to concentrate on when performing preventative maintenance on refrigerated trailers:
- Try to detect unusual vibrations and listen for noises that you aren’t used to hearing
- Check for broken or loose parts
- Look for leaks
- Check and tighten all electrical connections
- Check the level of your refrigerant
- Make sure that fans are rotating properly
- Clear away any dust, rust, or debris
- Check oil levels, refill when necessary, and change your oil on schedule
- Check to see that belts are all rotating properly and that their placement is correct
- Inspect all cooling units
What’s The Big Deal About Preventative Maintenance?
It is very important to figure out what should be repaired before it actually needs to be completely torn down and replaced. Time is money. It will likely take less time to do a quick check than a will to do a complete replacement and suffer longer periods of downtime. So why else is it so imperative that you perform preventative maintenance on your refrigeration units?
- The prevention of breakdowns – maintenance checks can help find problems that require only small repairs. Leaving them untreated only invites a bigger problem. Regular maintenance helps lessen untimely breakdowns because nobody needs that by any stretch of the imagination.
- Maintain energy efficiency – making sure that you are getting the most out of your refrigeration unit could mean using affordable techniques or efficient upgrades that will end up reducing your carbon footprint, lowering costs, and saving energy. Whenever possible, we all need to go green.
- Assure a high level of performance – you want to keep your refrigeration units and all their parts running at a level of peak performance. The wearing away of certain parts or machines, or the slightest malfunction, could potentially lower your shipped good’s value.
- A longer life is a better life – regular cleaning and checkups can, in the long run, prove more time-effective and cost-effective, and extend the life of all of your equipment.
Mickey Genuine Parts has a main facility in High Point, North Carolina and other full-service facilities located throughout the country. We are unrivaled in our efforts to supply top-rated parts, service, sales, customer service, and more. Not only can we offer you the most dependable parts available but reliable service that can get your refrigerated unit up and running and keep it that way.