Are You Planning To Start A Moving Business In 2020?

There is no time like the new year to start thinking about how to get out from under your boss’s thumb. Individuals who are sick and tired of working for someone else frequently decide to start their own business. In our mobile society, anyone with a moving business is all but guaranteed relatively consistent work. But there are any number of things to be considered before you can take out an advertisement and begin booking clients.We’re going to take a look at what’s involved in starting a moving company.

Let’s Start with Some Ideas 

Do you need to rent a warehouse or purchase massive trucks to start a moving company? No, you do not. In fact, big trucks and storage facilities are only used in about 20% of moves. That leaves a whole 80% for you and your smaller truck. 

In addition to moving entire homes, people sometimes need help moving just one or a couple of rooms. There are also people who move from one house/apartment to another, just a few yards away. No truck at all is needed for moves such as these.

So, you see, with an enclosed van or a small box truck, you can start a moving company on a smaller scale. Offering quality over quantity (regarding available space) can help save your customers money.

You’ll also need to figure out if you’re going to be a moving service that goes coast-to-coast with the vehicle, works within only a couple of states, or is a company that provides labor only (a truck or van must be rented by the client).

Putting Together a Business Plan

Every business, no matter how big or small, no matter what kind of industry, needs a plan of action. A plan will include the following: 

  • Prepare for possible problems
  • Focus on opportunities and key points
  • Allocate markets and resources
  • Forecast business development

Remember, your company needs to stand out among all other moving companies. How to do this should be included in your plan. Offer something new or a variety of services to differentiate you from everybody else.


Check your local regulations, restrictions, laws, etc. Also consider those of areas you may be moving clients and their belongings to. There are certain legal authorizations and permits needed for moving companies according to state, city, etc. The United States Department of Transportation can help with licensing and registration information.

Costs and Budgeting

Every business needs some type of initial investment. Whether you find an investor to contribute some or all of that money, or if you saved up, or if you take out a loan, there will be starting expenses. 

A vehicle or trailer will need to be purchased (or rented) in which to move your clients’ belongings. Remember that buying used, as long as it’s in good shape, can save a lot of money when you’re just getting started. 

Wrapping materials, packing materials, moving pads (blankets), furniture belts, ropes, dollies, etc. will be needed where equipment is concerned. Depending on the services you offer, you may need to make an investment in moving boxes of varying shapes and sizes.

Then there is the expense of insurance. You will want to make sure you have cargo and liability insurance. Talk to your insurance representative about purchasing reasonable insurance for liability and damages. Consider whether or not there is a minimal legal amount of insurance requirements for the states in which you will do business.

Final Thoughts

This next suggestion may seem silly, but not everyone knows the correct way in which to move things. There are body mechanics to consider as well as other factors such as effective and efficient loading and packing. Get some advice from a professional, seek out a class or two, but get the training and information needed to become the best, most reputable mover you can possibly be. 

Finally, you’ll need to advertise and generate business. This involves all sorts of factors and considerations that will have to be explored another day. You’ve at least got the basics here, so get started on that plan!

Mickey Genuine Parts has used transportation/moving units (i.e., trailers) for the frugally minded or someone who is just starting out and wants to save a little bit of money. When you need parts and accessories for your chosen moving vehicle, turn to Mickey. We also service trailers and vehicles at any one of our certified service centers If you have any questions about trailers, parts, accessories, or service, contact one of the knowledgeable representatives at Mickey today.

Let’s keep truckin'.

Get the latest news and product announcements with our informative bi-monthly newsletter.